If you are planning on hiking Half Dome make sure that you have the following: sun protection, plenty of water, gloves, and a camera to capture the natural beauty all around you.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Half Dome.
On Labor Day I hiked Half Dome and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I thought that hiking in Zion's all summer would have prepared me somewhat, but I've been wrong before too. It was a 16.4 mile round trip with a 4,800 foot gain in elevation. We met at the church at 4am and started the hike in Yosemite at 7am. It took us almost exactly 12 hours. Let me tell you, there was lots of praying going on and lots of pictures to pause, reflect, and capture the moment. Here are some of my favorites.
This was taken on a bridge looking up the river toward Vernal Falls. It was absolutely gorgeous and at this point (when I actually had energy and felt adventuresome) I wanted nothing more than to go ff the beaten path and go bouldering. But alas, I kept going on the trail.
This was the bottom of Vernal Falls and the water looked so cool and refreshing being the perfect emerald color. And the constant crashing of water from the falls was breath-taking.
This was taken at the top of Vernal Falls. After this the trail just kept on going up to Nevada Falls and on to Little Yosemite Valley and eventually Half Dome. It was still early when this picture was taken as you can see the light breaking on the mountain behind me.
There were a few rest rooms along the trail, but this one was the river. I kid you not this sign pointed to the river where there was definitely NO rest room. I sincerely hope that nobody used it just because there was a sign. Yikes.
Behind my brother and I is Nevada Falls. Amazing. I think I just have a thing for waterfalls. I'm not sure what it is about them, but they are so beautiful. We are posing as a "Last of the Mohicans-esque" kind of a thing. I'm not sure what we were thinking. Fatigue was setting in...
This was the group that decided to go all the way to the top of Half Dome with the beast itself in the background. I may or may not of made it all the way to the top, but what matters is the attempt right? Seeing something that appears insurmountable and trying your best to conquer it? A valiant effort, and a goal next time to beat it. That is what I have.
This is the point that I got to. Its about half way up the cables. Check out that incline though, its about 50 degrees on a slick rock. At this point I saw someone drop a water bottle that fell to its certain death and the cables got a little rickety and I turned around. Next time we come head to head, we'll see who conquers who.
If you are planning on hiking Half Dome make sure that you have the following: sun protection, plenty of water, gloves, and a camera to capture the natural beauty all around you.
If you are planning on hiking Half Dome make sure that you have the following: sun protection, plenty of water, gloves, and a camera to capture the natural beauty all around you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So close, yet so far! lol
ReplyDelete