Thursday, April 7, 2011

It's Poppin'!

Recently I have had an affinity for popcorn.  I'll admit it, openly and freely.

My name is Ashley, and I love popcorn.  I feel much better now.

Well, being the newly(ish)weds that we are, we are on a budget and there was simply no room in it for me to have microwave popcorn everyday*. So we began to expand our horizons.  Our options were limited, so after much contemplation, we thought about an air popper.

Now, I grew up on the old air popper.  And I hated it.  The popcorn was so bland and stale to me.  On the rare occasions my parents would allow us to put butter on it, the result was always the same**... I don't know what we were expecting.  Some popcorn would remain bland and tasteless, while other pieces would be so soaked with butter they were soggy. I won't admit that we didn't still fight over those buttered pieces, but that's not the point.  It wasn't coated evenly, thus it was lacking. 

So, still on that insanity plea, we tried the air popper and guess what?  I still hated it.  Still as bland and tasteless as ever it was as a child.  We even tried the butter... same result.  So we had to branch out further, so I turned to my point trust and informational friend, the internet.  

A simple search of 'perfect popcorn recipe' would yield the results found here. And true to its name, it was perfect.  We would follow the recipe (and some of the suggestions) and every time it turned out perfect. We tried butter in with the kernels before they popped with a little salt, perfect dispensed butter flavor and salted!  I love me some kettle corn, so I just added 3 tablespoons of white sugar to the kernels before they popped, I closed my eyes and it tasted just like the pricey stuff at the fair. 

The best part is that its way cheaper.  Its just as fast as making it in the microwave.  And I can easily clean up the evidence mess before Kevin gets home because its only gets one pan a little oily.  It's fantastic, and my life has changed forever.  Try it. You won't be sorry.

-Mrs. Tatum
*Now that we are admitting things, I'll admit... sometimes it was more than once a day.  For shame!
**Isn't that the definition of insanity?  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?  Yep, we were insane.

1 comment:

  1. UM GENIUS. I didn't know you just put white sugar into popcorn to make kettle corn! I just put oil and kernels in a pot on the stove and then dump whatever I want on after.

    ReplyDelete