Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fresno State Football

Today at my school we had some Fresno State football players come and talk to our students about trying their best on the upcoming state tests.  They gave a little schpiel about preparing, eating healthy, representing our school, and trying their best.  The kids were totally into in, and as if that wasn’t enough, they had brought in a bulldog and pretended it was Victor E. Bulldog, the Fresno State mascot.  Totally awesome.
Colburn in action.  He actually did this same exact move to one of the students.  OK, maybe not exactly this same move.
Then they had some little relays with the players that some of the teachers had got to participate in. I was on Derrick Carr’s team and we totally swept the floor with the other teams, until it came to the tug of war.  I guess he wasn’t as strong as Lorne Bell, Isaiah Green, or Colburn.  We rocked the hula hoop/tire training, and the football over and under (which Derrick was having a hard time grasping the concept of at first).  My kids were going crazy cheering for us.
They came up to me later and our conversation went a little like this?
We didn't see any of this action.  Too bad.
Student 1: Mrs. Tatum, you were up there with the football players!
Me: I know.  Pretty cool, huh?
Student 2: Why did you go up there?
Me: I did it for you!  You guys are my inspiration.
Student 2: (to student 1) She did it for us!  Thank you, Mrs. Tatum
I do what I can for the kids.  Really, I just wanted to tell Kevin that Derrick Carr picked me for his team.  Which he totally did.  So awesome.
There's Derrick.  I totally led our team to victory... and I passed it under to him.  I was a pretty essentially part of the team.  AND, I was the first teacher he picked for his team.  And I was so afraid of being picked last, too.
P.S.—My poster won the school’s contest!!!  Hooray!
-Mrs. Tatum

1 comment:

  1. Quite the day. Perhaps you should consider going pro with Derrick. Just don't tell him that you got a higher draft pick than him.

    ReplyDelete