Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Honoring an Apostle

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin passed away last night at the age of 91. He had been a general authority in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints since 1975 in the general Sunday School Presidency, assistant to the First Presidency, and an apostle. With over 30 years experience in leadership and 91 years of life, I marvel at the changes and things he must have seen and experienced in his life. It makes sense that we should learn from the things that he has learned, and trust in the things that he has said. As not only a wise old man, but as a prophet of God. A prophet, seer, and revelator for our day.

Here are some quotes from Elder Wirthlin.

I’ve loved every assignment I’ve ever had in the kingdom. And in that service, every day seemed like Sunday, because it was in the service of the Lord.


I pay tribute to my beloved earthly father, who taught me humility, diligence, honesty, trustworthiness … and reverence and honor for God’s chosen servants … to my mother … for life itself, and then for the great lessons she taught me.

The promise made by the Savior … assures us of his presence … in our individual lives, and in the intimate circles of our families.

What people think and believe and plan are all very important, but what they do is the thing that counts most.

My life really is anchored to the testimony that God lives, that Jesus is the Christ.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this until I read your post...is is terrible that I keep my Google Reader open but not the news?
    Thanks for the post. Elder Wirthlin was such a sweet man, his last talk in General Conference was a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete