In lieu of an event that has happened to me twice in the last week, I feel a blog is necessary to rant my feelings on something I'm sure we've all experienced if we have lived in a small to moderately-sized town--I even find this awkward when its a family member or close relation. When driving you occasionally happen upon someone you know driving in the same direction as you. Not a problem. Maybe you'll pull up next to each other at a stoplight. You wave or make a goofy face based on your relationship with the person you have aligned yourself with, but then what? Then what??!?
You are now continuing to drive in the same general direction as them. You do the little dance of passing each other, changing lanes, and eventually stopping right next to them again. Does the cycle repeat? At what point do you not have to acknowledge they are there (even though you both know the other is there)? OK, you're thinking that's not so bad. That its happened to you loads of times and it's not awkward or anything. But here's the kicker.

It's happened to me with the same person. Twice in one week. And instead of engaging in the expected car-to-car pleasantries we completely ignore each other. Because we hate each other. And its awkward because I know that they are there, and they know I'm there... and suddenly... I've never in my life been a better driver. I cannot take my eyes off the pavement, and in my delusional head the other driver has gone away. I should get some kind of award for showing such dedication to my signaling. For amazing caliber in checking my mirrors. Twice. So here's what I think. I think that we should all drive like there's someone in the car next to us that we don't want to interact with. The roads would be much safer places for our children. Not to play in... just to... never mind.
I wish you would narrow it down a little, saying it's someone you hate doesn't really tell me anything. Love the video.
ReplyDelete