Sunday, March 2, 2008

Adventures in Elementary School

I have found recently that I love special education kids. They are like any other kid, but things are a little harder for them. However, they are more excitable and loving than any other groups of kids that I have worked with. I really appreciate them and their innocence, its very refreshing. I wanted to mention a few things that I happened and general personality traits of some of my students because, well, they're hilarious.

I have one student who is very touchy-feeling and loves giving hugs and telling people, "I love you". While not socially acceptable, it is very cute and hes a sweetheart, when he's not crying. Anyway, the fun thing about this student is that when he tells you he loves you he says, "I love your, you're supposed to say you love me back." Very demanding. Sometimes I wish that life worked that way, but no such luck.

One of my kindergarten students was having and breakdown after I told him that its not ok to run in the hallways and asked him to go back to the bathroom and walk. He refused and cried and flopped and held my ankle and wouldn't be calmed. After about 10 minutes of trying to suppress his screams in the hallway, I told the classroom teacher that she needed to deal with "Michael". She goes into the hallway and not a minute later comes back in with Michael who announces that "I'm happy". Apparently she told him that he could be a teacher and her special helper for the day. All Michael knows are female teachers named Ms. ________, obviously he assumed that he would be Ms. Michael. So that is what he referred to himself as no matter how many times we corrected him to mister. He even wrote Ms. Michael on his journal. Can't wait to explain that one to his parents.

My student that I work one on one with, the demon child... was playing with a Fischer Price bus and people. When I asked him to clean up the people and the bus for work time, he put all the people back in the bus. When he finished I looked at the bus before he put it away. He had, unknowingly, put all the African American people in the back of the bus. I laughed hysterically at the irony and innocence of the whole situation. And he had no idea. Precious.

Needless to say, stuff like this happens all the time and I'm sure there will be more posts like this to follow.

1 comment:

  1. so, by laughing, does that make you racist? explain that one to his parents... btw, we have rock band.

    ReplyDelete